OPITO Banksman & Slinger Initial Training (Stage 1)This is a 2 day course that gives you the basic knowledge of crane lifts and movements. This course is aimed at training delegates on their skills and communications in this area.
The course content will enable delegates to:
- Understand lifting planning and the importance thereof
- Identifying unsafe practises and the outcome
- Crane lifting incidents
- Understand relevant rules and regulations pertaining to lifting operations
- Understanding the basic operations of a crane
- Hand and radio signals- communication
- Lifting operation risk assessments
- Understand the difference between banksman and slinger as well as their specific responsibilities
- The correct use and care of equipment as well as correct slinging methods of loads
- Pre-use and post use inspections
A Workplace Experience Logbook (stage 2) will be given to you at the end of the course. This task-based logbook needs to be completed by you while you are working offshore and before the expiry date of your Initial Training certificate (i.e. within 2 years).